Sunday, July 15, 2012

White Floors - Two Years On

The kitchen at Seafarers Cottage 2
A reader who remembered a post I did nearly two years ago about white-washed floor boards asked me for a wear-and-tear update.

The recipe: This was a new but straight forward one that I have been experimenting with - slightly diluted white paving paint. This gives you hardy coverage but lets the wood grain show through.

Well, I have to say, there is probably no better test than at a holiday-rented beach house! That's where we experimented with diluted white paving paint.

The verdict is.... not too bad! It looks a bit scuffed here and there which is OK if you like that look. I think it is fine in a beach house but if you are into perfect surfaces then this is not the look for you.

One good point is that it is easy to touch up if there is a spot that has a scratch or has lots of traffic. You do have to get down and scrub kitchen spills but the same would go for many surfaces.

Does any one else have good white floor tips?

7 comments:

  1. i'd love white floorboards and i like your recipe to let some of the wood grain come through. what are they like day to day? does dirt show up a lot?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all timber floors, no matter the colour, need maintenance and cleaning, so why not have white? Especially in a beach house, they look great. xT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am building a house next year which I'm planning to use vinyl planking. One of the options is a lovely white washed timber look but I'm a bit hesitant because of the cleaning. DO you find you notice every dirty mark or does the slight timber grain hide it? xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had pure white painted floors, limed floor boards and the "rubbed in" white paint look and I must say the limed option is the best of the three for hiding dirt. (I will post a photo later)
    The rubbed in white shown above is not a bad compromise for those of us who love that white floor look. The wood grain and slight patchiness hides some of the dirt.!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE wood flooring however, it is not condusive to the FL elements (if you live near the beach) or pets. I ended up taking mine out and went back to tile (so much easier to care for). I'm excited that tile manufacturers wised up and their new wood tiles look just like the real deal with so many trendy color choices! I've decided to go this route for my master bed and bathroom addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a white floor in the kitchen in the country. Love it, but is showing wear some 6 years on. Thinking about painting a new design on top of it it I get the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, thanks for giving details about white flooring that helps in Home Additions

    ReplyDelete