Thursday, June 18, 2009

Welcome to In My House



I am always wandering about what's new and what's next for interiors...
In all the years I have worked for glossy magazines I have collected quite a lot of inspirational things as well as plenty to say about the environments we create for ourselves.
I have also renovated many properties of my own (along with my architect husband) so am happy to share my inspiration, ideas and thoughts on what's great about doing up and decorating houses.

This is my house in the country near Berry, about two hours drive south of Sydney, where I am sitting writing this. Let me tell you a little about it. It is a heritage listed victorian farm house which was built by a dairy farmer back in 1901.

We have owned it for a few years now and are gradually doing it up - in between renovations to some of our other properties and those of clients.

The bathroom was the first thing we fixed up - its essential to have an inside toilet and somewhere to bath small children. My husband (the architect, Rob) found the bath, an antique porcelain French trough, in a secondhand building supply yard near our house in inner city Sydney. Apparently they used them as ballast in old ships. We decided to line the walls in gal and had a local sheet metal factory make it up. The rest of the walls were lined in tongue and groove boards like the rest of the house.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to following you through your renovation. What a beautiful spot you have chosen to live in.

    ReplyDelete