Monday, March 21, 2011

Kit Kemp's London Town House












Coincidentally, the couple responsible for the Firmdale Hotels in my last post, feature in the latest Elle Decor.

Kit and Tim Kemp own the new Crosby Street Hotel in New York as well as the Haymarket Hotel, Soho Hotel etc in London and this is their own house near Hyde Park. That's them on the scooter in front of their gorgeous front door.

The striped rug in the loft, the wing chairs at the dining table and the bold prints used to upholster sofas are stand-out details. The wing chair upholstered in french tea towels in the kitchen is quirky and I just love it.

They moved the kitchen (which is usually in the basement in these types of houses) up into one of the best rooms in the house which has proved a great success as Kit is a keen cook.

I am also taking note of this comment from the article where she describes an guest bedroom she had papered and upholstered in a black toile: “Everybody sleeps well in there,” Kit says. “They feel secure and tucked up. I think that’s important in a bedroom.”

The exuberance of Kit Kemp's approach to decorating is catching and I am looking forward to staying in one of her hotel bedrooms soon!

14 comments:

  1. I love the use of color and patterns in this home, it looks like a happy, comforting home!! kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like that feature. isn't that kitchen awesome, especially with the curve...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some gorgeous furniture fabrics, love to see some fun punches of colour with furniture. But the white shaby chic cabinet in the entrance hall is stunning I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the kitchen. great island bench.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They use colours so well. I just love their Hotels Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this place is truly delicious...thanks for the great post and inspiration...after all this rain it's just what I need! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her work ~ always so eclectic and colourful, yet with a comfortable elegance about it all.

    Terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be still my heart! What lovely inspiration! Merci xx Ophelia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've often wondered when looking at her hotels what Kit's own home must be like. It doesn't disappoint! She has such a unique style and I love her unconventional pairings. The kitchen is amazing and that front door!! x Naomi

    www.livebreathedecor.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of these rooms and especially her choices of pattern for all of her sofas and chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore all the different colours and textures. You'd feel totally alive in there. FYI we finally painted our house! Would love you to pop by. http://flotsamfriends.blogspot.com/2011/03/lick-of-paint.html Pruxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I really love the first image. and the bookshelf!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

    Kit Homes Queensland

    ReplyDelete