Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Beach Cottage Decor, Revisited!


Inspiration shot: Bed of Flowers
Inspiration shot: Bed of Flowers
Before shot: Cottage 3
Before shot: Cottage 3
Inspiration shot: Cottage 3
Before shot: Exterior Cottage 3
More Recent shot: Cottage 3

It has been a busy summer season out at the beach cottages. We have had visitors from as far away as Scotland and Singapore! Now I am determined to get back in there and do another layer of decorating as some rooms are still a little spartan.

These photos were taken of Cottage 3 early on. The bedroom with the 4-poster bed has a good backdrop - all-white walls, floors and shutters. The wafty inspiration shot is how I would like it to look.

In the other bedroom I am considering adding some colour with new lamp shades and maybe bright walls. Does anyone have any opinions? As it is a holiday house and no one has to live in it every day, it can be an opportunity to do something a little more daring.... Hmmm. Or should be leave the white on white?

We decided to add a bit of a privacy screen on the front veranda (there is a cafe across the road) so went for this retro coloured glass. Thesedays its very difficult to find old bubble glass and there is only one place that still makes it. I decided to let the picket fence go grey naturally rather than paint it white which is a huge task. You can see here how it has changed.

If you stylish bloggers out there have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

P.S. Picked up some great vintage furniture for these cottages over the weekend and can't wait to show you.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, what a great canvas to play with. I love the inspiration shot of the white walls and posted bed etc.. It really goes with the whole holiday at the beach relaxed feel and yes leave the fence to age gracefully. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh - that's a difficult choice! I'm always a huge fan of white on white but those cheery inspiration shots might make me reconsider! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My good friend Marina just called and she thinks I should continue the blue & green theme inside. I love that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green inside is such a fresh look. We used splashes of green and aqua for our recent renovation of the beach house and love the result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would plant some Hibiscus along the front fence as they grow like weeds....no work, just prune back once a year to keep them thick.You can keep them at a good privacy height (cafe) if you don't want them to block breeze or views.
    I have double bright red ones and they look fantastic, much nicer than the same old boring single ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I love a good fibro, and yours are fantastic! I love the idea of blue and green - so cooling on those very hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely house! The last bedroom looks so heavenly! Enjoy the gorgeous day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go on Catherine.....be daring and go for the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All such beautiful colours! I saved one of the images to my inspiration files!! I also really like the shutters! too cute!
    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you would prefer the fence to be white, get a quote or two from local painters. You may be surprised to find that it is not really all that expensive for them to do it because they spray it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stumbled across your blog while googling for fibro home renovations. I'm hoping to purchase a charming little fibro home which has already been wonderfully renovated but after a period of renting it out I'd like to further renovate the bathroom and laundry and possibly move into it. I'll be keeping my eye on your blog for further ideas! I was a little dubious about purchasing a fibro but now I have my fingers crossed it will be mine!

    ReplyDelete